The Green Book Adaptation Actions Tool was developed as an interactive tool to support climate change adaptation planning within local government. The Tool provides a range of planning and design actions that can be taken by local government to adapt to the impacts of climate change, reduce exposure to hazards, and exploit opportunities for sustainable development.
The actions are categorised according to:
The adaptation actions in the Green Book were developed using a framework that ensured each action was:
• Linked to the mandate of local government;
• Suitable for urban areas;
• Associated with local planning functions;
• Linked to good planning principles;
• Aligned with mitigation where appropriate; and
• Provided an economic, social or environmental benefit no matter the level of climate change.
GUIDELINES FOR THE SELECTION AND PRIORITISATION OF ADAPTATION ACTIONSREAD MORE
The actions are categorised according to climate risk (coastal and inland flooding, heat stress, wildfire, increased wind speed, drought, biodiversity loss, groundwater and surface water depletion) and municipal planning functions (spatial planning, land-use management, landscape and urban design, environmental planning, and infrastructure and engineering services that include water, energy and ICT, stormwater, sanitation, solid waste, and mobility and transport).
The range of adaptation actions considered in the Green Book is relevant to town or city, the neighbourhood and precinct scale, and to some extent is erf specific, as it relates to land-use and development control.
The climate change adaptation actions in the Green Book were developed using a framework that ensured each action was:
- Linked to the mandate of local government
- Suitable for urban and built-up areas
- Associated with local planning functions
- Linked to good planning principles
- Aligned with mitigation where appropriate
- Able to provide an economic, social or environmental benefit – no matter the level of climate change.
Van Niekerk. W., Pieterse, A., Davis-Reddy, C., Le Roux, A. & Lötter, D. 2019. Green Book Adaptation Actions Tool. Pretoria: CSIR. Available at: adaptationactions.greenbook.co.za